Military Checkpoint Hint: Each time I get to one I put my fishing book (the Baja Catch) on the dashboard. I just say "fishing vacation" and point at the book. Each time I get waved through but Garen and Alex get searched. The keep getting shaken-down for batteries. The army dudes really want them.
I should have brought more sushi paper (dried seaweed). We made some Corvina ceviche and rolled it up in paper with sushi rice that I made. AWESOME. We now eat all kinds of fish in the paper like a burrito.
Arrived in Mulege. Looked for paddle and had some drinks at El Candil. Met a cool local (Rick) who gave us all the intel we needed about Mulege. We took a palapa at Campo Don Dunas just a short walk outside of town. $5 per person. The campo was great (pic here) with fruit tree lined camp areas, a very clean toilet and shower and 110v at each site. Manuel the owner turned me on to Ed who is attempting to start a kayak rental business in town. I walked to Ed's an negotiated a deal to 'rent' a paddle. $100 buck and $50 back when I return it. I just keep it but he's a really cool guy who commercial fished out of Morro Bay his whole life. I'll do the right thing. To celebrate the successful renting he poured us all multiple vodka shots and burned some funny smelling green tobacco like stuff.
Went downtown Mulege for a pub crawl. Hit all the bars and met a ton of folks but mostly we partied with Dwayne the gay-paramedic-Canadian-Harley motorcycle rider and his "girlfriend". Funny stuff. He checked out my finger and determined it's fine but needs to stay moist or it'll grow the nail weird. I keep it polysporin'd all the time now.
No comments:
Post a Comment