Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dorado Hunt continues

Launched about 20 mins before dawn. A late start but I'll still be half way to the spot before the sun pops up. I had a good feeling. The water was making a humid feel to the colder air around. Right aftger sunrise and about 2 miles out I got a HARD strike. Line was ripping off my middle rod/reel. I was fishing 3 rods in a 'V' pattern which tuna type fish like. The middle rod was the longer one back. I grabbed the rod and kept easy pressure while reeling in the other rods in their rod holders. I was not going to let this fish swim circles and tangle my lines and get away. Once the lines were cleared I put some pressure on the fish. It easily took line back from my drag which was set for firm but not going to break pressure. After a few mins I buttoned down further and started making ground. Finally I got it to within sight and saw the brilliant yellow/green color of MY Dorado!! Finally!! It circled the kayak for a long time before I finally got it close enough to sink my gaff into it head. A perfect shot. It was not going to get away now. The pic is below. I'm guessing about 6-8lbs. The perfect size for eating and kayak fishing. Once I saw that it was a Dorado I called out to the Becker boys to paddle through my area because Dorado hang in schools. About 100' from me Garen is paddling furiously and screams "Fish On!". He eventually lands a carbon copy fish (though a little smaller ;p ). We troll another 2hrs up to about 6 miles from camp for no more takers. I filleted our fish on the beach and made a ginger-sesame-soy sauce pan fry that was DIVINE. We stuffed ourselves with fish.


After breakfast we packed and headed to San Jose but on the way the Becker boys front left wheel starts to FALL OFF. Not only the hub/4x4 is broken, but the spindle and bearings are gone. We parked the truck and I drove Garen into San Jose to get a tow truck. I stayed in SJ while Garen drove back with it. I dropped in Mulle69 (a new restaurant I didn't know was having it's grand opening) to have lunch. After a few complimentary tequila shots I was informed that I was their second paying customer. The owner was a great dude with perfect English serving his family label tequila. Good stuff. I got trashed quickly. The tow truck driver Garen was with drops him off out of town. A bus ride and taxi ride gets him to the restaurant where I'm waiting. They won't go out that far without a place to store the truck. Back to the beach to spend the night. We met Cody and Khandru (hippie girl) who are our beach neighbors. They are there because after confronting their mother for shooting Ketamine daily with a retired plastic surgeon boyfriend she has kicked them out. She owns one of the multi million mansions we're camped in between on the beach. I hope it works out for them. They seem like nice folks from Taos, NM.

No comments: